Monday, May 28, 2007

Have head??.....Then think...dont bow down....!!

Its been a long time now..Actually blogging isnt that great as i had imagined it to be...But it isnt bad either...And right now i have nothing better to do anywez...

For the last couple of days...I have observed or rather registered a few happenings around me...and then a question struck me.. are Indians an inherently servile race.?..always ready to jump at peoples feet/bow down/bend over...are we...are we...First the rajas/maharajas. then the nawabs/nizams...then the brits...and then the Policians/babus.......It actually came to me when I saw a man going totally prostrate on Mayawati's(UP CM) feet at some ceremony...there was no need to do it...i mean she was sittin on a stage at some ceremony....and did not even look at the man once.. ..But she very righteously put her hand over his head and gave him "ashirwad" with a very devi like but indifferent and as-a-matter of fact look on her face.....The sight was so pathetic that it actually made me wince thrice....

Frankly speaking I generally have this "I dont give a damn " attitude about who touches whose feet or watever else....but this really got me thinkin...Isnt this how we treat our politicians everywer in the country....Why do we do it...I mean arent they humans(mortals )who have been elected by us(so we are a power above them logically). and are paid by the taxes we give(I shall write about that later...taxes...taxes...taxes.!!)....

Why do we have to put gigantic flower garlands aroud their sweaty necks...or go prostrate werever we can wen wenever see them...wat does this signify...whom does this help...Respect can be highlighted in so many other ways.....Is it Indianness to be constantly servile and appear helpless...why cant a poor man not have the dignity to stand and say whatever he likes...I am not asking him to be rude...but dignified in his dealings......not that by going prostrate the person will get money or anything...If at all by doin that the politician may not get a chance to see the guys face and thus be not able to recognise him to help him later on in life.......But still...I guess the mantra at least currently at political gatherings seems to be :"Have head....will bow down...."

3 comments:

Sohani said...

Its possible to pay respect without bowing down too...I agree. It's also possible to bow down respectfully...rt?

I dont think its just the politicians babe, I think it is the whole Indian culture....we are taught to bow down to our parents, our elders and listen to them even if its not what we believe. Ofcourse, our generation knows better. That's probably why you wouldn't find many people representing our generation bow down....sometimes, even when necessry !!!

Juily Wagle said...

Hey sweetie...thanx for reading and commenting on ma blog....But I dont think I put my point across wel enuf....My thrust was that respect is not equalt to "Complete negation of oneself and complete validatioon of the other"....thats about it...In order to show respect u need not go prostrate and fall at others feet ...esp for politicians etc...U can of course do it for people u truly respect and adore like ur parents,gurus etc...But not ministers etc...who are being paid to do their duty....Another thing..I dont think its the generation problem per se...I dont think our parents went proistrate ...nor do we go...I think it is more of a social issue...people from a certain class do it more...My point was not about the irreverent children...It was about the feet- kissing validation which thrives at most political meets today...

kedyboy said...

nice, i get your point but i dont know what the deal is with the word "prostrate"